Friday, February 19, 2010

down the hatch

What did you call me? Oh, it's not me, it's the name of the cake - Tipsy Tart.

Sitting at home on a Friday night, after an extraordinarily long week at work I am cruising my favourite blogs, deciding what to take for my turn at the Cake Club next Wednesday (and having a few glasses of wine, as it happens). And I though it a good idea to have at least two recipes up from others before I added my own.

So it was back to painter-chick's list. For those who know me, it will be unsurprising that Tipsy Tart jumped off the list. A cross between a sticky-date-pudding and a big ol' tumbler of brandy.

Hurrah
Tipsy Tart

For the cake
60g butter
1 cu
p sugar
1 cup boiling water
1ts
pn bicarbonate soda
250g
pitted dates
100g walnuts or pecans chopped
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4
tspn baking powder
pinch salt

Cream butter and sugar together and add beaten egg. Pour boiling water and bicarbonate of soda over dates and nuts.

Put mixture into flattish buttered pyrex dish, lamington pan or two separate tart dishes (about 22.5cm in diameter). Bake at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes. (Watch for burning at the end.) Allow to cool a little. Prick well and pour hot brandy sauce over tart.

Brandy Sauce
1 1/2 c sugar
60ml brand
1 tspn vanilla
1 cup water
knob of butter

Boil ingredients together for five minutes until sugar has dissolved, and sauce has thickened slightly

The cake can be kept for a few days before serving - with whipped cream of course.

It should be noted that this recipe came from Janet in 1997. 1997!!!?? Blimey

No comments:

Post a Comment