Saturday, May 1, 2010

cheesecake heaven

Yes, another post with one of my recipes. Actually this is one that I made for a significant birthday celebration in the office, not technically for the cake club. But I've missed a couple of club events either through meetings or three weeks of leave (woohoo), and frankly no one's given me any recipes to post, so again, c'est moi.

And again I have taken this recipe from Peabody at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. And the reason for this - Peabody does great cake. And this raspberry ripple cake is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten, let alone cooked. Seriously. The base is a bit of a long drawn out affair, which then leaves you with a tonne of left over dough to cook. This threw me as I was planning on cooking after work and had not left enough time for dough to rest. But the resulting biscuits were very nice too. Although in a pinch I reckon you could do a basic biscuit base and it would be fine. Something nutty (maybe Butternut Snaps?). But this is the recipe as Peabody gives it.

Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscuit Crust
350gm unsalted butter
1 3/4 cup icing sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 cup corn flour
1 3/4 cups hazelnut meal1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa

Using a standing mixer with a paddle, cream the butter and sugar until light, then add the egg and mix in well.
Sift the dry ingredients together and then add to the wet, combining well. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for approximately 4 hours.

This is enough dough for 8 cheesecakes, you can make biscuits out of what you don't use. Or another 7 cheesecakes. I'm not here to tell you how to live your life....

For the first (and any subsequent) cheesecake, line a 10 inch springform tin with parchment and press in enough dough to make a 0.5cm thick base and prick with a fork. Bake at 180C for about 10 minutes, and then cool, while you get on with the filling.

Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Filling
1/3 cup raspberry jam
1.2kg cream cheese (oh my lord!)
2 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 tblsp flour
5 eggs (again, oh my lord!)
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups raspberries, pureed and strained

Preheat oven to 180C.

Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the cheese and sugar until soft. Add in eggs one at a time. Mix until incorporated and scrape down the bowl down occasionally.

Add flour and mix well. Stir in the vanilla.

Spread the raspberry jam over the cooled crust coming about a centimeter from the edge.

Pour in 1/3 of the cheesecake batter. Then drizzle half of the puree on top. Repeat with more cheesecake batter and then puree. Pour the last third of the batter on. With a thin knife marble the cheesecake.

Bake in a bain marie for approximately 2 hours before cooling to room temp and then chilling overnight.

I won't lie to you. This cake is not on the weight watchers plan. However it is so seriously good you won't mind being fat. I know I don't. I did nick this picture from Peabody too, as my camera was absent this day, but I hope to make this cake again soon, so maybe I can replace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment